Over forty countries are participating in this year's Eurovision Song Contest. To mark the opening of the Eurovision week in its true spirit, the City of Stockholm will arrange a unique and solemn Flag Ceremony.
Information på svenska
On Sunday 8th of May at 08:00, in line with the Swedish flag tradition, soldiers from the Swedish Life Guards, one of the world’s oldest regiments still in existence will raise the flags of all 42 competing countries to the music of the Royal Swedish Army band.
When: The Ceremony starts at 7:45. (arrival 7:30 is recommended). Skeppsbron will be closed for traffic between 07:40-08:15 o’clock.
Where: Front of the EuroClub on Skeppsbron right in front of the Royal Palace.
- The ambassadors from participating countries.
- Karin Wanngård, Mayor of Stockholm and
Eva-Louise Erlandsson Slorach, the Presidency of the City Council.
- Jon Ola Sand, EBU ESC Executive Supervisor
- Prominent guests from SVT and the delegations
The Royal Swedish Army band is the largest regiment orchestra in Sweden with 50 professional musicians.
It is unusual that 42 countries' flags will be raised at the same time in the heart of our capital. Two examples:
- 28 nations attended the 1912 Olympics Games in Stockholm.
- 113 nations participated in the Stockholm Conference in 1972.